Thursday, August 21, 2008

Life-changing relationship

When I was 15 years old, the church I grew up in hired our first Youth Pastor. At the time I was enjoying the fact that my parents said they would never make me go to church, so I wasn't going. On the first Sunday that Kyle and Cari Detmers and their young daughter, Chelsea came to church, my parents came home and said that I HAD to meet this guy, I would really like him.
So I went to church and met him and his wife, and that was the beginning of a relationship that has impacted me in ways that I will keep learning until eternity.
Yesterday, I went to that church, which is still like "going home" to me, and celebrated in sending Kyle, Cari and their 3 children off to Marquette Bible Church, in Marquette, MI. It was such a sad and draining day for me. The service was awesome. The celebration was great, and I think that the Detmers family was truly honored for their service to God.
I just had SUCH a hard time saying good-bye to them. I haven't seen them much since I've been married and moved out here, but I always knew where to find them. I always knew they would be there if I needed them for any reason.
When Chris and I were working with the Student Ministry at our old church, people would ask why we were doing it, my answer was always .. "because my youth pastor had such an impact on me, I want to do that for other students". We don't work with students any more because of our family, and the demands it would be on our time. But I hope that the time I did spend with some of the girls impacted them somehow.
One of the things I said yesterday during the service was, now that I'm a mom, I really understand the sacrifice Cari made to always keep her door open to me. I don't know how many hundreds of times I popped into their home un-announced, with I don't know how many hundreds of stupid reasons (usually about a boy!), and she always made time for me. I never considered her time, her family, the other aspects of her ministry, but it never seemed to matter. I will never forget that, and the impact it made on me will last forever.
I know that God is going to continue to complete His work in them and through them, and I'm excited to pack up my family and head to Marquette for some quality "family time" with the Detmers.
I love you guys, and I will never be able to thank you enough for all that you are in my life.

0 comments: