Monday, September 1, 2008

The 6th Love Language

There is a pretty popular book called, "The Five Love Languages" written by Gary Chapman. I've read the book a few times, and the premise is that each person has a dominant "love language" that they use to express their love to others and that is the best way to express your love to that person, the way that lets them know you love them. The "languages" are Physical Touch, Gifts, Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Acts of Service.
A friend and I were talking about the book the other day and she asked me what my love language was. I said, "I don't know, it seems to change every time I read the book." I've been thinking about my love language since that conversation...and I think I've had a major revelation!
I'm pretty sure there is a 6th love language and it's....FOOD! And undoubtedly it's my Love Language. The following is a list of examples to support my theory, I'm considering e-mailing Mr. Chapman to tell him he needs to update his book...forward dedicated to MOI of course (or he could just send me some chocolate:D)
Examples: 1. My best friend Lindsay likes to drink the occasional Coke. They don't buy it because they don't drink it enough, so they don't usually have Coke in their house. Any time Lindsay and I meet at the park with our kids, or I go to her house, I bring her a Coke. It's my way of showing her that I care enough about her to bring her a "treat" that she doesn't usually have.
2. I LOVE it when Chris surprises me with going out to dinner or ordering in. Us going to dinner, or ordering in makes me feel special and loved.
3. Some of our friends from church were having their daughters wedding this past weekend. I had this plan to bring them some Bagels, a carton or two of soup and some pastries from Panera bread to their house so they would have some quick and easy food at their fingertips in the midst of all the chaos. It was my way of showing them that I was thinking of them and caring for them. (It didn't happen, but that's another post all together)
I have many more examples of times when either I have used food to cheer someone up, help them when they were sick, or just let them know that I care about them. On the same token, I have many examples of times when someone has brought me a meal and I have received their love in great ways.
What do you think? Is it possible that food is the undiscovered 6th language of love? What is your love language? Your spouses? How do you meet each others language?

1 comments:

Melanie said...

It's been 9 days. Where's the new post? And yes, I believe that food is also a love language that is how I show I care. :)