Saturday, January 9, 2010

What holds you back?

I may have mentioned before that I am studying Esther, (Beth Moore's study) and LOVING it! If I haven't mentioned it before, well I'm studying Esther using Beth Moore's study and I love it! This past week, we watched one of the video sessions which focused mainly on when Esther tells Mordecai that she will go to the King and she says, "If I perish, I perish." Meaning, she will literally risk her life and go see the King without an invitation in order to fulfill what Mordecai has already told her, might be her destiny, and save the Jews from complete distruction. (Esther "Who knows but that you might have been placed here for such a time as this?") If you've not read the book of Esther in a while, or ever, go read it!
The most profound thing (to me) that Beth Moore says in her video is that we can let our fear keep us from our calling. Our destiny. I can think of so many examples in my life where I have let fear keep me from doing something that might have changed a path in my life or a path in someone else's life. I firmly believe that none of my choices or times when I have let fear rule over me change ANYTHING about God, His plan or purpose for my life or anyone else's. God is God and His plan will be fulfilled, the issue is whether or not I will let fear keep me from being a part of that plan.
Stick with me here...
Last night Chris and I went on a wonderful date night and saw the Movie, The Blind Side. Such a great, great movie! What struck me the most was Sandra Bullock's character. She did NOT live in fear. From opening her home (a ginormous, beautiful home) to a large, wandering, African-American male, to hunting down his mama in the projects, to confronting a group of men who were threatening her and her family when she was very outnumbered. I kept thinking throughout the movie that this is exactly a case where fear could have kept her from her destiny...and in that case, her fear could have kept Michael Ohrer from his destiny.
I pray for courage like that. I do not want to live in fear any longer. I don't think until this week, I've ever fully realized that fear does have it's hold on me. In.Everyday.Life. I don't tell friends who don't know Jesus about his amazing love, for fear of losing that friendship. I don't try to befriend the other parents at Pre-school for fear of being rejected. I don't always obey the promptings of the Holy Spirit to reach out to a friend or stranger because I fear being misunderstood, seeming too desperate, trying to hard, being rejected.
It's time to kick fear in it's rear and live like Queen Esther, making my motto, "If I perish, I perish." And the reality is, MOST, if not all, of the things in my life that fear keeps me from, will not put me in a position where perishing is even an option!
So, I ask, What is fear keeping you from?

1 comments:

Julie said...

"LIKE button"!
You are so special to me...always challenging. I've been struggling with sort of the same thing. We'll have to talk about that Monday ;)
Love you, my inspiring friend.