Thursday, September 18, 2008

Feeling like a "real" grown-up

Levi will be turning 3 on November 3oth, and for the most part anytime we've needed babysitters it's been one of our parents, or a few times some church girls have come to watch him for an hour or two. I've never had to "hire" a babysitter that I didn't personally know, and have that first call talking about the boys, their schedule, etc...until tonight.
Our small group is going to be meeting on a night that my mother in law can't watch the boys (as she has in the past) so we decided to look for someone who could drive to our house on Thursdays to babysit. We didn't have to look too far, our small group leaders' daughter is available and going to do it for us. I've never met her before, so tonight I called her to give her the scoop on the boys. (Group starts next week).
Maybe this all seems weird to me because I was a babysitter all through high school and college, and it just feels so backwards to be the one saying, "Well, we have 2 boys, Levi and Mason, they go to bed at this time and do this, this and this...we'll be paying you this much..."
Hmm...as I type this, it sounds funny, but I really felt like a "MOM". You know? Maybe you don't, maybe I'm just being weird about it. But in my mind it feels like a year ago that I was the one listening to the mother drag on and on about bed times, snack times, diapers, and MOST IMPORTANTLY...how to work the remote control! And now I'm her...
Man...I was a really snoopy babysitter, too...I'd better go clean out the mail drawer...!!

3 comments:

Marc Whitted said...

Awesome pictures...your kids are getting big! We miss you guys...

Lori Lynn said...

How funny!!! I know what you mean, though. Don't forget to have some snacks for the sitter. I always LOOOOVED the parents who left me some edible food.

Mike, Eskai, Sarai and Jadon said...

I was laughing all the way through your blog because I can sooooo relate! I feel so awkward when I give instructions to a babysitter...like I should be the one taking the instructions or something. Weird how life changes and we feel left behind :-) Oh, and I was a snoopy babysitter too! Get your mail drawer cleaned out yet?