Friday, June 27, 2008

Funny (and Cute) Story

...Well, it's actually mostly cute. Today in preparation for all of our happenings, I went to get the van washed at the automatic car wash. Levi has had a fear of the car wash for quite some time, but recently has become a bit more brave when we drive through it. Mason on the other hand, has remained quite oblivious to the experience. Today while we were waiting in line to enter the car wash, Levi kept saying (with a quiver in his voice), it's not too scary mommy, it's not to scary. Then as we pulled up and the guys (who I think ARE quite scary) started doing the pre-wash, Levi said, "I like the car wash". At that moment, Mason (who is experiencing quite a bit of stranger anxiety, especially with males) notices the car wash attendant outside his window and looses it. An all out, hyperventilating cry. Levi looks over at Mason and says, "Mason it's OK, it's not too scary". And repeats it over and over like a mantra. While he's trying to convince his brother (who calms down as soon as the attendant walks away), it's obvious that he is trying very hard to be brave himself and the quiver in his voice is very apparent.
Meanwhile I was sitting up front blinking back tears at what I've just witnessed. It's one of the first, and very rare, times that Levi has shown pure care and compassion for Mason. I just loved listening to him with that "trying to be brave quiver" repeat over and over, "It's OK Mason, it's not too scary"...oh, these moments make me LOVE being a mother!
Well, just wanted to share that, now it's back to packing!

1 comments:

Melanie said...

I love reading stories about your boys! It gives me a little sneak peek into my future. I do feel for Levi though -- I really dislike automatic carwashes as well. I make Al take my car through when it needs cleaning. I hope you have fun on your vacation adventure!